Surgery went well. They were running a little late this morning, but when they got started, it went pretty fast. At 9:05am, I went to the bathroom for the last time, and then the anesthesiologist came in to give me the spinal, and the nurse gave me a shot of what she called "Care less medicine" (a combo of fentanyl and versed). When they wheeled me away from the prep room I was laying on my side, and the next thing I remember, I was in the OR, laying on my back, being moved to a different bed, Bob Marley was playing, and I couldn't feel my legs. The Dr. came in and said hi, asked how I was feeling, and I told him I was fine but asked or more sedatives so I could actually fall asleep. He called the anesthesiologist over to give me more drugs, and I was trying to wiggle my toes and my legs felt super heavy on the table. I lifted my head a little to look in front of me, and imagine my surprise when I saw a nurse in front of me, with my right foot in her hand. My leg was completely in the air being scrubbed down with Iodine and even when I was looking at it, I could have sworn it was still laying on the table with my left leg. It was the strangest feeling! By now a Jimmy Buffett song was playing,and that's about the last thing I remembered until I saw Dr. Kinahan over me again saying, well..I can't actually remember what he was saying, I just know he was talking and said something to the effect of being done
Cut to me laying in the phase 1 recovery room, where I was now completely freezing. The nurse wrapped me in warm blankets, took my vitals and gave me more fentanyl. Then she asked what I wanted to eat or drink, gave me my choices and I ordered a cranberry juice and whole wheat english muffin. That muffin, being the first thing I'd had to eat in 14 hours was the best I had ever tasted. After one more shot of fentanyl, a couple percocets and a vistaril, the nurse helped me into the phase 2 recovery chair, where I sat for a few minutes, and she wheeled me into the phase 2 room. I think I was there for about 10 minutes before Matt came in. The nurse took my vitals a couple more times, Dr. Kinahan came in and gave me some pictures of inside my knee, showing the damage that he cleaned up and gave me some post-op instructions. After another english muffin and a final shot of fentanyl, I got dressed, and after about 15 more minutes of sitting, I was wheeled outside and got into the car. We got home around11:45am, Matt helped me upstairs and into bed, and that's where I've been for the past 4+ hours. I'm still in alot of pain, even through the pills, but I'm hoping that with some decent sleep tonight, I'll start feeling a bit better tomorrow. I finally took a nap for about an hour, and figured that I better write this now while I have a small window of clarity after my nap, before the next round of pain pills. Thank you again for every one's well wishes and positive thoughts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I just read this.. didn't even realize you were having your surgery... I totally laughed because when I had my knee surgery, I had the same exact experience with my leg being up in the air... I giggled and told them it looked like they disconnected my leg. That is a weird experience.. I even had the freezing experience like you did too.. Hope you feel better soon.. and by the way, what exactly did they fix in your knee? I think I missed that part..
I am so glad it all worked out well and it sounds like you felt pretty good. I hope you heal fast. Take it easy chica!!
Glad the surgery went well and I hope it's the same for your recovery. Tell me if you need any help.
Post a Comment