Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More problems, more specialists.

Last Thursday evening, it was Open House and the book fair at Taylor's school. On the way, we stopped at Best Buy to get a CD. I just went in real quick so Matt could drive around the parking lot for a minute. I walked in, took off my sunglasses and all of a sudden, I saw a bright flash of light, that looked like it was only in my right eye. It was like really bright sun coming through a broken window, and then "fuzzy" flashes of light and color. I felt dizzy all of a sudden, and stopped for a minute to make sure I was okay to walk. I picked up what I needed, went to the checkout and got out of there. I walked out and told Matt that something funny was going on with my eyes. About 10 minutes after we left the store, I was trying to talk to Matt and I just couldn't. I knew what I wanted to say, but the words didn't come out, or the wrong words came out, or I stuttered over them. It was a very scary thing, and I felt like there was something wrong with my brain, like it just stopped working. The initial "dumbness" for lack of a better word, lasted a few minutes and then I just felt really confused, and noticed that I now had a headache over my left eye. We went to Taylor's school, and I was only in the gym for the book fair for a few minutes when I told Matt I needed to go back to the car, but that him and Taylor could take their time looking around. They bought some books, and joined me at the car about 15 minutes later. Matt's idea was to take me home, and go back to the school with Taylor, but by the time we got to our house, I had to tell Matt that he couldn't leave me at home, and that I needed to go to the hospital. The headache was still present, but not painful, but I was didn't feel right. On the way there, Matt handed me a CD and asked me what the name of track number 12 was. I can't remember now what it was, but I know it was three small words, and I actually had to sound them out, and it probably took me a good 20 seconds to actually read it. That's when he started to get really scared. Matt dropped me off at the ER, and I told him to try to arrange for someone to watch the kids, and to come back when someone was with them. When I walked into the ER, I told the registration person that I needed to see a Dr., she handed me a form to fill out, and I had to tell her that I wasn't seeing and thinking very well, so I handed her my ID and insurance card, and she took all my info from there. Luckily, there was no one waiting in the ER, it was a miracle! So, they took me back right away. I saw a Dr. right away, he asked me some questions, looked into my eye and ordered an MRI and MRA of the brain. By the time they were getting ready to take me, Matt got to to my room. After the scans, I did a vision test where I realized that it wasn't just my right eye, both were fuzzy. After about an hour, they came back with the results. I was diagnosed with an ocular migraine and the Dr. said he had spoken to an opthamologist, and felt it was safe to send me home that night, if I saw the specialist in the morning.
So, I went home, tried to sleep off the headache, and in the morning I felt more coherent, but I still had the pressure (not pain) of a headache and blurry vision.
I saw the eye Dr. that morning and he confirmed that what I had experienced was a classic Ocular Migraine, and that my eyes looked fine, but he would re-check them in a week to make sure my vision went back to normal. He went over my medical history and seemed concerned about the 3 episodes of Bells Palsy that I've had in the last 6 months. He said that the reoccurences of it made him curious as to whether it was actually Bells Palsy or something else. He left the room for a few minutes to make a phonecall and came back to tell me that he had gotten me an appointment for Tuesday (today) with a Neurologist.
I saw the Neurologist today and discussed everything with him. He told me that my problem is very puzzling to him, because he first thought that the Bells Palsy episodes were migraine related, but I assured him that headaches had never been a part of them, so now he wants to further explore the possibility of T.I.A., http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781 which from what I understood is basically a stroke disorder. He ordered some bloodwork, and I have a follow-up appointment in a few weeks. So, that's where I'm at right now. I'll update with any new information, but in the meantime I appreciate all the prayers from my friends and family.

No comments: