Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mac and Cheese

Once again, I decided to experiment and make something with some of the grocery deals I have laying around.

24 oz Bowtie Macaroni noodles
1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
5 slices American Cheese
1 cup shredded or small, thin slices Cheddar Cheese
1 cup shredded or small, thin slices Monterey Jack Cheese
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 TBSP Butter
4 TBSP Flour
1 cup Breadcrumbs
Thyme (to sprinkle on top-optional)


Melt butter in saucepan, add flour and stir til smooth. Add milk slowly, and cook until a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat. Add American cheese in strips, and blend in until melted. Set Aside

In a Large plastic bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup monterey jack until well mixed.

Add the warm sauce mixture to the other cheeses in the bowl and stir well. Add cooked, drained noodles and stir to cover with sauce.

Pour noodles and sauce mixture into 2 1/2 quart corningware dish, or similar.

Sprinkle Thyme on top of noodles, and then cover with remaining cheeses. Top with breadcrumbs and bake @ 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

*This recipe was good, but next time I think I'll use a sharper cheese and possibly make a little bit more of the sauce, or add more milk, because I had to add milk when I reheated slices of it*






1 comment:

Mina said...

YUMMMM! This looks delicious!