Thursday, November 5, 2009

One Hour French Bread

Yesterday, Ersula from my "baby board", posted a french bread recipe that she found online, and I had all the ingredients, so I decided that I would make it to have with dinner.


I think I managed to track down the original owner of the recipe, so I can give credit where it is due. Anyway, it turned out great and I will definitely make this again!




One-Hour French Bread

1½ cups warm water


1 tablespoon honey


1½ teaspoons salt


1½ tablespoons Active Dry Yeast


3 - 4 cups flour (any combination of white and whole wheat)




Preheat oven 450ยบ.


Combine water, salt, honey, and yeast in a medium bowl.


Let sit 5 - 10 minutes, until bubbling.


Add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon, until dough is no longer sticky (I'll sometimes dump the dough out onto the cutting board with what flour is in the bowl and roll it around,adding a bit more flour, until it's not sticky).


Roll dough into a 12 - 14" roll (or you can divide it in half and roll it into two long skinny baguettes).


Place dough roll(s) on a cookie sheet (this won't work in a bread pan), greased or sprayed with non-stick spray, cover, and let sit 20 minutes.


Make diagonal slits, 1/2" deep, on top with a razor blade. (Optional: spray with salt water).


Bake 20 minutes.









1 comment:

Xaleyn said...

That came out great, April! Isn't it satisfying to make something so yummy with little to effort? lol That girl whose blog I posted it from is on my sewing board. =]